Thursday, April 30, 2009

Scooped

Our very first SCOOP feature looks at energy efficient light bulbs, a simple way to help out planet earth and save yourself some money on bulb replacement around your home. The SCOOP artwork is mine.



In an informal survey conducted by The Milkshake (I talked to eight people about their light bulb use) it seems we were running at just over 50 percent on the use of energy efficient bulbs. Five people said they had some "eebs" in their house. I asked if they knew how much money the bulbs were saving but the jury was out on that question.

Personally I have been slowly changing over to eebs during the past couple of years and all I can really say for sure is that I haven't replaced one of them. I surveyed some eeb packaging on store shelves last weekend and it seems most of them are designed to last nine years. There is some helpful cost-savings math right on the bulb packaging that indicates somewhere around a $50 per bulb savings over it's life time. Apart from keeping your wallet fat, the bulbs use energy at a lower rate and that helps earth.

Here's a little shot I made to highlight the cost savings aspect of these bulbs.



So are you using eebs at your home or business? Comment and tell us.

I will be starting my Links feature soon, here's a site I will be adding: sierraclub.org. They are advocates for enjoying, exploring and protecting the planet. If you stop by, check out their article "Message In A Bottle" about two guys who took a ship made out of recyclables across the Pacific to Hawaii (see photo below), and along the way found some very disturbing things floating in the ocean, and in the stomachs of fish.

Also while you are surfing their site, make sure to check out "Hey Mr. Green", a column where you can ask Mr. Green questions like "how cold should I be keeping my fridge and freezer?" and he'll answer you through a podcast, audio only.




The Sierra club founder was John Muir (guy in beard) standing here with Prez Teddy R. This image is off their site. I just liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment