Friday, June 15, 2012

Master Of His Own Domain

Well you've waited for days to hear the outcome of the dog story. I have looked for him to reappear along Sheridan road around Loyola Park all week but there has been no sign. However, while I've been scouting for him, I've been thinking maybe he should have a name. He needs a good solid name; he's a good spirited animal. I'm thinking of calling him 'Spirit' because it fits him so well. Before I tell you the outcome of his story, let me say that only one brave soul blogged a guess this past week--venturing a guess as to what he did. To that one blogger I want to extend a heartfelt thanks for your boldness to go on the record like you did. Also I did receive a few emails from other bloggers and I received one text. So thank you one and all for stepping up in those various formats as well. Now as to what Spirit did when he approached the corner..... Nobody guessed that he did something completely unpredictable. How could anyone know? After all, IT WAS UNPREDICTABLE! But that is what he did. Here's what happened, god's honest truth: Spirit reached the corner and without any hesitation whatsoever, turned sharply right, edged close to the brick building, stopped at the entrance door to the apartment, reared up on his hind legs (so he was, in effect, 'standing' for a moment) leaned forward, and pushed against the door with his front paws at about human chest height. The door, which must have not been too heavy, apparently left unlocked, gave way and swung open he slid down to the ground and slipped inside in one smooth motion as if he owned the place. He disappeared into the dark alcove and it slammed shut quickly, all in the span of about two seconds, and all happening as I cruised past in my car. No lie! Spirit baby! I'm gonna watch for this dog all summer. I'm gonna report on his doings if I see him. You'll hear more. I'm gonna keep a lookout for this wonder dog--this cool dude that takes himself for walks. Wears no collar, no tags. Has no leash. Has no master. Answers to no one. Knows where he is going. And lets himself back in when he decides to come home. Goddamn it! I love this hound! That's why his name is Spirit!

3 comments: