Sunday, July 8, 2012

Care, it's really pretty simple

Got out on my block the other evening and picked up trash. It was very non-scientific. Only to see what we, as 21st century creatures, like to carelessly, lo thoughtlessly, discard into the public domain. I stopped at 100 items. You decide how telling it is (or isn't): 81 cigarette butts; 7 cigarette packages; 4 cigarette cellophane wrappers; 3 plastic drink bottles; 1 utility bill; 1 gum wrapper; 1 prescription; 1 crushed milk cap; and 1 ad circular still in plastic. Only difference from years past that I could see was I never reached the end of my block this time. One footnote: maybe it matters, maybe not: as I was collecting, I noticed two cars roar by and add to the collection, both were cigarette butts they threw, both still burning (in this tinderbox drought too!) and it struck me funny that both vehicles we're speeding and both we're these big suv monsters. Hmmm. Discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment